Friday, October 29, 2010

Cartilage...It's What's For Dinner Tonight!

So tonight, my roommates and I were too tired to cook, so we walked to a warung (food stall) for dinner. I ordered gado-gado, which is a vegetable dish with peanut sauce. Rebecca got soto sapi (beef soup), and Valerie ordered ayam bakar dan nasi (baked chicken and rice). Valerie also ordered rujak (see my first post), so I was really excited to share that with her! However, when the rujak came, it was not the fruit dish with peanut sauce that I had before. Not knowing what it was, I braved the first bite. Now, being trained for semester after semester about living overseas, I knew to never spit out food. But I HAD to spit this out! It was not an Everest I could climb (that's for you, Jennifer :). We reviewed the menu to see exactly what we had ordered and after putting the word into a handheld dictionary, we discovered that what I had just put in my mouth and quickly spit out was none other than cow cartilage. Here is some more information and pictures if anyone is interested...

http://discoverindonesia.net/2010/02/rujak-cingur-a-challenging-taste/

2 comments:

  1. I think I would stick with the bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bananas for me! Looking on the bright side, eating is an adventure every day there.

    ReplyDelete