Thursday, November 18, 2010

Idul Adha

Idul Adha is a Muslim holiday celebrated to remember Abraham's willingness to sacrifice Ishmael. On this day, Muslims pray, sacrifice animals, and spend time with family. I got to witness some of this holiday at the mosque behind my house. Some of these pictures are kind of graphic, just warning you...

 One of the cows and some goats before the sacrifice.
 My buleh friends as well as my closest neighbor friend who helps me with language :)
 The mosque behind my house...and a fragment of balloons being sold by one of the neighborhood men.
 Goat sacrifice. That's all I'll say about that.
Dead animals being hung up to be cut and handed out as meat. Some is given to the person who bought the animal and some to the poor.

This was definitely a cultural experience for me. Can't say that I'm looking forward to repeating it next year, but it was a great opportunity to see all of our neighbors. We even got to go to the neighborhood leader's house for breakfast (like I could stomach breakfast after watching this), but I managed a couple bites in order to not be rude. The rest of the day will come in the next blog post...

No comments:

Post a Comment